Posts

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Roadhouse Cafe, Kathmandu, Nepal


Genre:         Western Food (American, read on and you will understand) / Pizza

Location:     Kathmandu, Nepal

Rating:         10 out of 10

The Roadhouse Café in Kathmandu, Nepal turned out to be one of the biggest surprises in my food explorations.  And I love surprises.  After eating a lot of Dal Bhat (lentils and rice) on this visit, and really enjoying it, it left me wondering if there was much else available in Nepal that was flavorful.  I mean, as far as countries go, this is still a developing country and people are lucky to have food.  That is why The Roadhouse Café was such a surprise.  Because of the rolling electricity allotments in the city, this restaurant is equipped with authentic wood-fired ovens.  They cook the majority of the food this way which really adds a unique experience and taste to the dishes.  I ordered a pizza and un-anticipatingly waited, more enjoying the company of my Nepali friends and having great conversation than thinking about the food I ordered.  And then it arrived, slid off the wood paddle onto the table in front of me.  The smell was divine.  The presentation simple yet stimulating.  I pulled off the first piece and took a bite.  Heaven is all I can say.  Nepal is known for many “heavenly” sites (the Himalayas), but I had no idea “heaven” in Nepal for me would be a pizza.  I can honestly say it is the best pizza in the whole entire world.  Fresh ingredients, made from scratch dough, and a wood fired oven equals bliss on top of the world, literally.         


Address:       27° 40' 34.0896" N, 85° 18' 46.5336" E
                   Located in the touristy Thamel district in Kathmandu

Telephone:   N/A

Cost:           Prices are definitely affordable!

The actual pizza, definitely the best!

The Roadhouse Cafe sign, Thamel

1 comment:

  1. Mate, Nepal is a developing country, but I take offense in saying Nepalis are lucky to have food in general. While the country has its challenges, Kathmandu is just about as any other metropolis and the poor are certainly better than other countries. Note that even the poor own mortgage free assets and the close knit society ensures the poorest are never without food. The perception that Nepal is a blanket poor nation is offensive as you will find most Nepalese are actually well to do, loan anf stress free and are able to afford what anyone in the West does. It's not amazing that most clients at this pizzeria are Nepalese and they do spend more per table than the average westerner any day.

    ReplyDelete